httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Dan Poirier <poir...@pobox.com>
Subject Re: svn commit: r885606 - /httpd/httpd/trunk/build/rpm/httpd.init
Date Tue, 01 Dec 2009 22:07:04 GMT
Graham Leggett <minfrin@sharp.fm> writes:

> Dan Poirier wrote:
>
>>> Redhat's init scripts don't work anything like the apachectl script, and
>>> trying to call one from the other causes the exact problem you mention -
>>> loss of environment variables, and all round weirdness.
>>
>> Maybe I'm just slow getting back up to speed after the holiday, but I'm
>> not seeing how it would cause a problem.  Could you please expand on
>> that?
>
> On a Redhat machine (Fedora/RHEL/Centos), search
> /etc/rc.d/init.d/functions for functions called "daemon", "status" and
> "killproc". These functions provide similar but incompatible
> functionality to that provided by apachectl, and only exist on Redhat
> derived machines.

Well, apachectl doesn't provide any of that functionality.  About all it
does is source bin/envvars, if it exists, and then call httpd and pass
along any command line arguments.  httpd does all the start/stop/restart
etc. logic internally.

So I'm still not seeing the problem with setting httpd=apachectl in
httpd.init, which would make bin/envvars apply, and not really change
the behavior otherwise.

> The startup script is far too trivial to justify jumping through hoops
> to try and make apachectl work like Redhat's init.

That's not what I was suggesting, and I don't think it would be
necessary.

> It's caused us enough grief already, thus the fix.

What grief is that?  I don't actually know what problem we're trying to
fix here.

Dan