httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Dan Poirier <poir...@pobox.com>
Subject Re: svn commit: r885606 - /httpd/httpd/trunk/build/rpm/httpd.init
Date Tue, 01 Dec 2009 13:17:33 GMT
minfrin@apache.org writes:

> Author: minfrin
> Date: Mon Nov 30 22:53:43 2009
> New Revision: 885606

> Remove the use of the apachectl script, as a script calling
> another script makes no sense.

I wonder if this is a good idea?

apachectl does some things that httpd.init does not.  For example, an
admin might reasonably expect to be able to control Apache's environment
by editing bin/envvars, but this will now silently fail when Apache is
installed using RPM.

Of course httpd.init could also source bin/envvars, but then we start
down the road of having to keep httpd.init in sync with apachectl.

I think we should just use the documented, recommended way of
controlling apache.  The extra cost seems minimal, especially compared
to the long-term maintenance costs of not doing so.

Dan