httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Jeff Trawick <traw...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: ap_process_child_status() and child pid exit signal logging
Date Wed, 02 Dec 2009 14:34:03 GMT
On Wed, Dec 2, 2009 at 9:00 AM, Kevin J Walters
<Kevin.Walters@morganstanley.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I've noticed that all versions of apache (1.3 to 2.2) will produce
> error log output like this,
>
> [Mon Jan  1 00:00:00 2009] [notice] child pid 12345 exit signal Segmentation fault (11)
>
> In the case of a segmentation fault or anything that produces a core
> dump this is a relatively serious error but it's only marked at notice
> level due to setting of APLOG_NOTICE in the code.

APLOG_NOTICE is special:  Such messages cannot be suppressed by any
LogLevel setting.  I guess that is behind the choice of APLOG_NOTICE.

There's some inconsistency w.r.t. other log messages though.  Child
process crashes aren't as serious as some other errors that use
APLOG_CRIT or APLOG_EMERG.  So why are those other error messages
suppressible?