httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "William A. Rowe Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>
Subject Re: Per module LogLevel configuration
Date Mon, 28 Dec 2009 07:08:36 GMT
Dan Poirier wrote:

> Looking at log_error_core(), it appears that if the logging level is set
> to disallow a particular message from being logged, that
> log_error_core() returns before doing any argument processing.  So the
> overhead would only consist of a few function calls, and my sense would
> be that saving that wouldn't make a big difference.

You describe the internal arg processing.  Keep in mind that fn args aren't
conditionally processed, they must be created before being passed to the
function.  If we can dodge that with a module query 'is mod_foo at loglevel
debug here?' then we can optimize this considerably.

A minimum vector is per-vhost-per-module, but per-dir-per-module would be
even better :)  At that granularity, and adding per-mod forensics, the user
can be grabbing lots of detail on one specific module in the single context
that is causing that module to misbehave.