httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Nick Kew <n...@webthing.com>
Subject Re: Autoindex patch
Date Sun, 27 Dec 2009 20:38:14 GMT
Rich Bowen wrote:
> A couple years back, the IndexStyleSheet directive was introduced, but
> was of limited usefulness for some of the stuff folks wanted to use it
> for, simply because the HTML didn't contain any CSS classes.

Nothing wrong with that.  You hook to the elements, including as much
hierarchy as you need.  In fact, you can address pretty much everything
individually that way, by virtue of knowing the structure of the page.

>	 The
> attached patch is a simple proof-of concept, introducing the CSS classes
> ai_table, ai_th, ai_tr, ai_tr_odd and ai_tr_even that you can then style
> in an IndexStyleSheet. This allows you to do things such as alternating
> rows in the directory listing.

Any classes you attach are by definition arbitrary.  A class for <table>
adds absolutely nothing.  Neither does <th> unless you use different
classes for different instances of it.  Alternating <tr> classes support
trendy striped tables (for whatever that's worth), but IMHO if we're
going down that road, we'd be better taking the HTML out of the code
altogether and turning it into a template the webmaster can hack
at leisure.

That'll teach you to post here for review: if you'd just gone ahead
and committed, I'd probably have shut up :-)

--
Nick Kew