httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "William A. Rowe Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>
Subject Re: Per module LogLevel configuration
Date Sun, 27 Dec 2009 06:50:41 GMT
Dan Poirier wrote:
> "William A. Rowe Jr." <wrowe@rowe-clan.net> writes:
>
>> One thing we should refactor is 'debug' logging.  Proper debug
>> logging is log early and often, but there is overhead involved
>> in preparing the args and submitting the log request, only to have
>> it fall on deaf ears.
>>
>> If we are doing any significant 2.0 refactoring, toggling the
>> truly-debug log level processing at compile time would be a big win.
>
> Do we have some measurements of how much overhead this adds?

Of course not, since it varies wildly by what is being logged.  But just
the preparation can consume double buffers/invoke a copy with the simple
presence of an LF character.

> Being able to turn on debug logging by just changing the configuration
> is much more convenient than requiring a recompile, and I'd hate to give
> that up without knowing we were gaining significantly in performance.

One aspect would be compile-in optional logging, but another option for
most modules would be runtime module log level querying.  That would at
least allow the authors of cpu/memory intensive logging features