httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "William A. Rowe Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>
Subject Re: [Proposal for trunk] Extending RewriteMap, Reusing ip network matches
Date Fri, 18 Dec 2009 19:24:54 GMT
Rainer Jung wrote:
> On 17.12.2009 23:14, William A. Rowe Jr. wrote:
>> Rainer Jung wrote:
>>> 1) Extending RewriteMap
>>> =======================
>>>
>>> I plan to extend key file handling in text file RewriteMap. At the
>>> moment keys are always matched as exact strings against the map. I want
>>> to add the ability to alternatively
>>>
>>> a) match via regexp (and replace backreferences in the found values)
>>> b) match via ip network notation like e.g. used in "Require ip ..."
>>>
>>> This could be expressed in the configuration by adding another token
>>> after type:source, e.g. "exact", "regexp", "ip", where "exact" is the
>>> default.
>>
>> -1; you are going to completely hide the performance penalty from the
>> user's attention.  In order to identify this properly, please extend with
>> an alternate directive to activate this (slower) mapping, e.g.
>> RewriteList
>> or some such.
>
> Really? The feature is off by default, users need to activate by adding
> one of the new match types. Old configs will not see a performance penalty.
>
> The penalty when using the new match type can easily be documented the
> same way I would need to documnt RewriteList. I'm not sure whether
> adding a new directive is the way to go, because the purpose of the list
> is the same as of the map. Only the type of key matching changes. I'm
> afraid it will lead to some confusion.

Reviewers are more likely to catch a misconfig if you use RewriteList rather
than some extra args.  This is why I deprecated <Container ~ foo> so long
ago, and replaced it with <ContainerMatch foo>.

RewriteList's will take only a subset of the storage types, right?  You aren't
planning on using/reading large, nearly empty hash sets, are you?