httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Rainer Jung <rainer.j...@kippdata.de>
Subject Re: [Proposal for trunk] Extending RewriteMap, Reusing ip network matches
Date Fri, 18 Dec 2009 10:59:49 GMT
> Rainer Jung wrote:
>> 1) Extending RewriteMap
>> =======================
>>
>> I plan to extend key file handling in text file RewriteMap. At the
>> moment keys are always matched as exact strings against the map. I want
>> to add the ability to alternatively
>>
>> a) match via regexp (and replace backreferences in the found values)
>> b) match via ip network notation like e.g. used in "Require ip ..."
>>
>> This could be expressed in the configuration by adding another token
>> after type:source, e.g. "exact", "regexp", "ip", where "exact" is the
>> default.
>
> -1; you are going to completely hide the performance penalty from the
> user's attention.  In order to identify this properly, please extend with
> an alternate directive to activate this (slower) mapping, e.g. RewriteList
> or some such.

Really? The feature is off by default, users need to activate by adding
one of the new match types. Old configs will not see a performance penalty.

The penalty when using the new match type can easily be documented the
same way I would need to documnt RewriteList. I'm not sure whether
adding a new directive is the way to go, because the purpose of the list
is the same as of the map. Only the type of key matching changes. I'm
afraid it will lead to some confusion.

Regards,

Rainer