httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Graham Leggett <minf...@sharp.fm>
Subject Re: svn commit: r885606 - /httpd/httpd/trunk/build/rpm/httpd.init
Date Fri, 04 Dec 2009 12:37:56 GMT
Tom Evans wrote:

> Really? It works perfectly on all boxes I use it on. What precisely
> has changed about reading a pid from a file, sending signals to a
> process, or spawning a process with specific arguments that has made
> apachectl 'archaic and largely broken', I am intrigued.

And if you have ten boxes? 50 boxes? A Google of boxes?

Editing a file in place has long been shown to be a maintenance
nightmare, which is why in addition to logrotate.conf you have
logrotate.d, in addition to modprobe.conf you have modprobe.d, and so
on. This is a pattern long since established in modern unix
distributions, to solve the problem of the need to edit files during a
software addition, and edit files again during software removal, all
without making mistakes.

Sure, if you are used to editing config files by hand on one or two
boxes, apachectl will meet your needs, but if you do anything that
requires a level of scale doing it this way won't.

Regards,
Graham