httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Graham Leggett <minf...@sharp.fm>
Subject Re: svn commit: r885606 - /httpd/httpd/trunk/build/rpm/httpd.init
Date Fri, 04 Dec 2009 10:38:11 GMT
William A. Rowe Jr. wrote:

> The last I heard, the 'rpm' project is open source, free to be adopted by
> any platform.

Just because rpm is free to be adopted by any platform doesn't mean it
has been. Rpm contains features that allow the spec file to tailor
itself to its build environment, and I am confident those features would
kick in if someone was to try and create an rpm package tailored for an
environment other than a Redhat derivative.

> As for the rest of your comments, if we solve the general problem, I'm all
> for including it in the httpd tree.  If we are solving specific packagers
> problems, I'm ok with placing this in the httpd.a.o domain, but we should
> move this nonsense outside of the development tree into a packaging tree.

And in turn violate the principle of least surprise.

The point behind support for packaging formats is to make the end user's
life easier, not harder. Packagers that create weird, non standard, or
unexpectedly complex packaging are not doing their users any favours.

Regards,
Graham