httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "Gregg L. Smith" <li...@glewis.com>
Subject Re: svn commit: r885606 - /httpd/httpd/trunk/build/rpm/httpd.init
Date Fri, 04 Dec 2009 01:32:43 GMT
William A. Rowe Jr. wrote:
>> I may be wrong but as an outsider looking in, I see you wanting to stop maintaining/including
the gear box and are instead spending the time on adding more optional gadgets to choose from
(some of the third party modules you've taken over). In the end, I'd prefer having a reverse
gear over the rear window defogger. You are also loosing all control of a required piece of
equipment, this has got to make some of you at least cringe a little.

> I'm not 100% sure I understand what you are saying here.  Drop the
> gearbox and let them assemble their own transmission?  Or distribute
> a most modern transmission that the user can ignore or swap out if they
> want to install their own?

Bill,

The latter in your statement, distribute the most modern transmission
that the user can ignore or if they wish or swap out with something they
prefer.

Basically it's easy. If it must be there to build the darn thing, pass
GO and collect the $$$, then it should be there. If not, then it becomes
an option and that is left up to the user/builder ergo openssl zlib and
lua.

so +1 to including pcre in -deps (or srclib/pcre), basically as it is
now in the other branches.

In reality I probably shouldn't say anything anymore as I adapted and
overcame, begrudgingly. It sure was a sore subject back between 2.3.1
and 2.3.2 and I guess it just held on and I could not resist making noise.

Sorry this got into the wrong thread, I blame my webmail :)

Gregg