httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Graham Leggett <minf...@sharp.fm>
Subject Re: requests possibly not reaching the log phase
Date Thu, 03 Dec 2009 10:09:01 GMT
John ORourke wrote:

> I have an unusual problem - a large e-commerce site integrated with
> Authorize.net for card payments which appears to be failing to log some
> requests.
>
> The Authorize.net system makes HTTP POST requests to our server, and
> about 1 in every 500 transactions, the Authorize.net system reports a
> timeout and there's no trace of the request in our logs.  Authorize.net
> won't investigate in any detail because their system is reporting that
> the request simply timed out.

If httpd isn't logging anything, the most likely explanation is that the
request isn't reaching httpd at all.

How reliable is your network between their system and yours? Are there
any load balancing devices or other network magic in the way that could
potentially be misconfigured?

> My next steps are to add simple request logging during the Trans phase,
> and failing that, packet sniffing, but this is a live high-traffic
> server so I'm trying to avoid that if possible.

Packet sniffing will answer the question "was there any evidence of a
request", and would probably be the least invasive way of measuring
this. It's always useful to see what the network is actually doing,
rather than what you think it's doing.

Regards,
Graham