httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Graham Leggett <minf...@sharp.fm>
Subject Re: svn commit: r885606 - /httpd/httpd/trunk/build/rpm/httpd.init
Date Tue, 01 Dec 2009 22:28:41 GMT
Dan Poirier wrote:

> Well, apachectl doesn't provide any of that functionality.  About all it
> does is source bin/envvars, if it exists, and then call httpd and pass
> along any command line arguments.  httpd does all the start/stop/restart
> etc. logic internally.
>
> So I'm still not seeing the problem with setting httpd=apachectl in
> httpd.init, which would make bin/envvars apply, and not really change
> the behavior otherwise.

You've said it yourself, "apachectl doesn't provide that functionality".

In the Redhat world, environment vars are set in the file
/etc/sysconfig/httpd, not /usr/bin/envvars. Redhat's "service httpd
restart" works differently to apachectl's "apachectl restart".

>> It's caused us enough grief already, thus the fix.
>
> What grief is that?  I don't actually know what problem we're trying to
> fix here.

Look in the original init script before the fix - start, stop and
restart were done using Redhat's functions and the settings in
/etc/sysconfig/httpd. graceful and status used apachectl and the (non
existent) /usr/sbin/envvars file.

That meant for us that the server's config behaved differently if the
admin did "service httpd graceful" and "service httpd restart", and was
very broken.

Regards,
Graham