httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Graham Leggett <minf...@sharp.fm>
Subject Re: svn commit: r885606 - /httpd/httpd/trunk/build/rpm/httpd.init
Date Tue, 01 Dec 2009 21:41:28 GMT
Dan Poirier wrote:

>> Redhat's init scripts don't work anything like the apachectl script, and
>> trying to call one from the other causes the exact problem you mention -
>> loss of environment variables, and all round weirdness.
>
> Maybe I'm just slow getting back up to speed after the holiday, but I'm
> not seeing how it would cause a problem.  Could you please expand on
> that?

On a Redhat machine (Fedora/RHEL/Centos), search
/etc/rc.d/init.d/functions for functions called "daemon", "status" and
"killproc". These functions provide similar but incompatible
functionality to that provided by apachectl, and only exist on Redhat
derived machines.

The startup script is far too trivial to justify jumping through hoops
to try and make apachectl work like Redhat's init. It's caused us enough
grief already, thus the fix.

Regards,
Graham