httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Graham Leggett <minf...@sharp.fm>
Subject Re: svn commit: r885606 - /httpd/httpd/trunk/build/rpm/httpd.init
Date Tue, 01 Dec 2009 14:16:41 GMT
Dan Poirier wrote:

>> Remove the use of the apachectl script, as a script calling
>> another script makes no sense.
>
> I wonder if this is a good idea?
>
> apachectl does some things that httpd.init does not.  For example, an
> admin might reasonably expect to be able to control Apache's environment
> by editing bin/envvars, but this will now silently fail when Apache is
> installed using RPM.
>
> Of course httpd.init could also source bin/envvars, but then we start
> down the road of having to keep httpd.init in sync with apachectl.
>
> I think we should just use the documented, recommended way of
> controlling apache.  The extra cost seems minimal, especially compared
> to the long-term maintenance costs of not doing so.

Redhat's init scripts don't work anything like the apachectl script, and
trying to call one from the other causes the exact problem you mention -
loss of environment variables, and all round weirdness.

Apachectl is simply a way of starting httpd, it is certainly not the
only way, and is definitely not the way you start if if you're on a
Redhat derived platform.

Regards,
Graham