httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Joe Orton <jor...@redhat.com>
Subject Re: [RESULTS] [VOTE] Release httpd 2.3.4-alpha
Date Fri, 04 Dec 2009 09:57:16 GMT
On Thu, Dec 03, 2009 at 05:21:09PM -0600, William Rowe wrote:
> Paul Querna wrote:
> > Vote Results:
> >    +1 (binding): Sander Temme, Paul Querna, Joe Orton,  Niklas Edmundsson,
> >    +1: Gregg Smith
> >  +/-0: Rainer Jung
> >     -1: William A. Rowe, Jr.
> >
> > Vote passes.
>
> I'm sorry.  I explicitly insisted on a vote on the -deps package seperately
> from the 2.3.4 package, because it was entirely reasonable that Sander Temme,
> Paul Querna, Joe Orton, Niklas Edmundsson, or Gregg Smith reviewed -only- the
> httpd-2.3.4-alpha.tar.xx package alone.

I've no issue at all with the -deps tarball containing a snapshot of
APR:

1) the httpd project cannot force the APR project to commit to API
stability by distributing a snapshot of the APR 1.4 branch.  Why on
earth would that be the case?  The only time the APR project commits to
API stability is by making a new .0 release itself.  What other projects
do is irrelevant to APR.

2) the httpd project isn't taking on any commitment to itself maintain
API stability in the shipped APR snapshot because *this is an alpha*, so
we're not guaranteeing API stability.

Furthermore I don't think it's a good idea to set a precedent of
requiring a separate vote on each file which makes up "the release".  I
certainly presumed that the vote Paul called was for all the files
making up "the release".

Regards, Joe