httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Jeff Trawick <traw...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [mod_fcgid] Feedback / Suggestions
Date Wed, 25 Nov 2009 11:34:53 GMT
On Tue, Nov 24, 2009 at 11:08 AM, Olaf van der Spek
<olafvdspek@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 24, 2009 at 5:03 PM, Jeff Trawick <trawick@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> What advantages does fcgid have over proxy_fcgi (except being ready)?
>>
>> integrated, on-demand process management
>
> How valuable is that?
> In most cases a static number of backends seems fine.

compared with mod_proxy_fcgi, the little or no required
configuration/management of application processes with mod_fcgid makes
it easier for newbies and/or casual users; at the same time it is
sufficient for most sites, though perhaps with a little more config
tweaking to allow higher spawn rates or larger pools per application

>>> mod_fcgid isn't in 2.2, right?
>>
>> mod_fcgid is actually not bundled with the HTTP server.  It is
>> released on its own cycle, and supports httpd 2.0.x, 2.2.x, and trunk
>> (future httpd 2.4.x) with one delivery.
>
> Ah, nice. What's the reason it's not bundled though?

I expect to see relatively high activity (compared with any particular
bundled module) in mod_fcgid over the next 6 months or so.  Given
that,

* bundling means considerable extra work to get fixes into both httpd
trunk and the separate mod_fcgid tree that would continue to support
httpd 2.0.x/2.2.x; that gets worse when httpd 2.4 is GA, as a fix
could apply to httpd trunk, httpd 2.4.x branch, and the separate
mod_fcgid tree
* releasing of mod_fcgid fixes would be held up by the httpd release cycle