httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Jeff Trawick <traw...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [mod_fcgid] Feedback / Suggestions
Date Tue, 24 Nov 2009 16:06:24 GMT
On Tue, Nov 24, 2009 at 10:50 AM, pqf <pqf@mailtech.cn> wrote:
>>> (3)
>>> mod_fcgid currently buffers the complete input from the client
>>> (occasionaly in a temp-file if the request is large) before it passes it
>>> through to a FCGI backend. Could this be made configurable in a way like
>>> File|Memory|Pipeline? (file - as is | memory - buffer in memory always
>>
>> This will definitely be resolved ;)
>>
> Pipeline is a little complex. FastCGI process would write during reading. so
> mod_fcgid should check both read and write on the socket, and read/write while
> the socket is readable/writeable.
> But is do-able :) Any one interesting?

I'm interested, but need to find adequate time.  (I can certainly find
time to review and help test somebody else's implementation.)

>>> Or otherwise, can someone explain the details to me why it is as it is?
>>> Especially in terms of not pipeling data directly (maybe after a little
>>> buffering to build proper FCGI packets)? The comment in
>>> fcgid_bridge.c:452 (add_request_body) left me clueless. Why would this
>>> keep the server in processing too long? Processing takes its time either
>>> way, I'd assume. Looking forward to enlightment. :)
>>
>> I can only guess that the problem at hand when this was implemented
>> was that some backend application processes were so expensive that
>> that they couldn't be tied up until all data had been read from slow
>> clients.
>>
> Yes, Jeff is right :)

This is a reasonable feature; once streaming to the app is implemented
this alternate mechanism can be enabled with a per-request envvar
(e.g., SetEnv in the directory or location).