httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Jeff Trawick <traw...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [mod_fcgid] Feedback / Suggestions
Date Tue, 24 Nov 2009 15:47:25 GMT
On Tue, Nov 24, 2009 at 10:34 AM, Olaf van der Spek
<olafvdspek@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 24, 2009 at 4:24 PM, Jeff Trawick <trawick@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> (1)
>>> mod_fcgid should be capable of specifying an external FCGI server.
>>> (2)
>>> In conjunction with (1), mod_fcgid should be able to select the backend
>>> server based on request data.
>>
>> I'd much rather see effort put into mod_proxy_fcgi to support this use
>> case.  I wish somebody, perhaps myself, had time to work on it.  It
>> doesn't seem that hard a task.
>
> What was the reason to import mod_fcgi again? Wasn't the ETA of
> mod_proxy_fcgi too high?

mod_fcgid was imported because it was

* widely used
* not actively maintained
* httpd developers were willing to adopt it

I felt that it was a nice addition particularly because it had a
different approach to this important problem space compared with
mod_proxy_fcgi.

>> In the interim, is mod_fastcgi really that bad?
>
> I assume mod_fcgi wasn't developed without proper reason.

So do I.  (FWIW, I've put a lot of time into mod_fcgid and expect to
continue doing so in the future.)

The situation at hand seems to be

* mod_proxy_fcgi promises to meet those requirements but falls short at present
* mod_fcgid doesn't even try
* mod_fastcgi implements at least some of those requirements and is mature