httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Brian Rectanus <>
Subject Re: Pull mod_unique_id out of default build?
Date Sat, 07 Nov 2009 06:25:31 GMT
On Thu, Nov 5, 2009 at 11:02 PM, Ruediger Pluem <> wrote:
> On 11/06/2009 06:45 AM, Nick Kew wrote:
>> On 6 Nov 2009, at 05:30, Sander Temme wrote:
>>> Maybe my understanding is limited and my fu is weak, but I have
>>> personally never had a use for mod_unique_id.  The only thing it does
>>> for me is an error message on startup or, when my server finds itself
>>> on a box with a hostname that doesn't resolve to an IP address,
>>> failure.  Could we take it out of the default module build?
>> +1.
>> Useful only to a minority, and actively troublesome to some, seems ample
>> reason to keep it out of a default build.
>>> -APACHE_MODULE(unique_id, per-request unique ids)
>>> +APACHE_MODULE(unique_id, per-request unique ids, , , most)
>> I wonder if even "most" is a tad over-generous here?
> I think 'most' is a good compromise for the start. The only application I use
> it for is for mod_security. mod_security doesn't work correctly if it is
> not loaded. Otherwise I have never used it.

Yes, mod_security requires it.  Many who use mod_security may not even
realize it.  It would be a shame to have vendors drop it by default,
which would make mod_security a bit more difficult to install on
vendor built httpd installs.  I have not really seen any other product
use it though and have debated rewriting something similar to include
in mod_security.  Who "owns" the mod_unique_id code?  Maybe it could
be donated to mod_security to include it in it's own code so we don't
have to wory about it?

View raw message