httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "Akins, Brian" <Brian.Ak...@turner.com>
Subject Re: Httpd 3.0 or something else
Date Mon, 09 Nov 2009 19:05:48 GMT
On 11/9/09 1:59 PM, "Graham Leggett" <minfrin@sharp.fm> wrote:

> Doesn't matter, once httpd proxy gets hold of it, it's just shifting
> static bits.

True.

> Something I want to teach httpd to do is buffer up data for output, and
> then forget about the output to focus on releasing the backend resources
> ASAP, ready for the next request when it (eventually) comes. The fact
> that network writes block makes this painful to achieve.

FWIW, nginx "buffers" backend stuff to a file, then sendfiles it out -  I
think this is what perlbal does as well.  Same can be done outside apache
using X-sendfile like methods.  Seems like we could move this "inside"
apache fairly easy.  May can do it with a filter.  I tried once and got it
to filter "most" backend stuff to a temp file, but it tended to miss and
block.  That was a while ago, but I haven't learned anymore about the
filters since then to think it would work any better.

Maybe a mod_buffer that goes to a file?

Also, all these temp files are normally in tmpfs for us.

--
Brian Akins