httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Rich Bowen <>
Subject Zero Config
Date Fri, 13 Nov 2009 12:15:29 GMT

On Nov 13, 2009, at 06:39 , Igor Galić wrote:

> It's been a long time now, but I still remember Rich asking for a
> Apache httpd starting *without* a config.
> I'm not sure this is easily doable, but I'm pretty confident that
> we can slim down the basic config (httpd.conf) to a very minimalistic
> level and put all the fluff in extra

Of course it's doable. Easily? I don't know. But certainly doable. You
define and document default values for everything, and then config
directives are only ever needed when things differ from the default.
Lots of products do this.

The default for LoadModule could be that you load all modules in
HTTPD_ROOT/modules unless there are LoadModule directives specifying
otherwise. We could (and should) protect <Directory /> by default, and
allow access to HTTPD_ROOT/htdocs by default. And so on. Much of the
stuff that's in those configs you referenced can already be omitted
and fall back to default values.

Rich Bowen

View raw message