httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "William A. Rowe Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>
Subject Re: svn commit: r883712 - /httpd/httpd/trunk/docs/manual/mod/core.xml
Date Tue, 24 Nov 2009 18:58:32 GMT
Jeff Trawick wrote:

> What about an optional third argument to Mutex to indicate that the
> pid should be omitted?
>
> Mutex default sysvsem
> Mutex ssl-cache file:/mnt/sesscachedir OmitPid
> etc.

That seems sensible, but I'm left wondering how many different naming
conventions we can fit on one directive line.  Perhaps bOmitPID instead ;-)
This really becomes harder to follow than the existing multiple-syntaxes.

Is there any reason not to name these mutexes in MixedCase?

Is there any reason we can't invert the arg order, so that we have

Mutex mutextype:name Resource [Resource ...] [OmitPid]

Of course, default could be assumed here.  So the above becomes

Mutex SysVSem
Mutex file:/mnt/sesscachedir SSLSessionCache OmitPid

(note the Resource tag can be the actual directive being mutexed, instead
of an alt-name).

Thoughts?

> In the ssl-cache example, the name of the mutex will be simply
> /mnt/sesscachedir/ssl-cache
>
> Does that meet the special SSLMutex requirement?

Well, it's not strictly SSLMutex, but any other shared-resource that
requires cross process/cross machine mutexing.