httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "William A. Rowe Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>
Subject Re: svn commit: r883540 - in /httpd/httpd/trunk: ./ build/ docs/conf/ docs/conf/extra/ include/ modules/aaa/ modules/core/ modules/examples/ modules/generators/ modules/ldap/ modules/mappers/ modules/ssl/ server/ server/mpm/prefork/ server/mpm/worker/ test/
Date Mon, 23 Nov 2009 23:33:29 GMT
trawick@apache.org wrote:
> Author: trawick
> Date: Mon Nov 23 23:17:51 2009
> New Revision: 883540

> Log:
> Replace AcceptMutex, LockFile, RewriteLock, SSLMutex, SSLStaplingMutex,
> and WatchdogMutexPath with a single Mutex directive.  Add APIs to
> simplify setup and user customization of APR proc and global mutexes.
> (See util_mutex.h.)  Build-time setting DEFAULT_LOCKFILE is no longer
> respected; set DEFAULT_REL_RUNTIMEDIR instead.

I haven't spent enough time follow the discussion thread, but there is a
pretty big concern here.

Let's say we pick NFS for our SSL session store, which means we need an fcntl
or file lock to mutex the session cache.  But if these others were all machine
local (and hopefully, easily threadproc mutexible, such as a pthread mutex or
at worst case, a sysv sem) then the optimal no longer mirrors the appropriate
match based on the resource.

Can we perhaps partially revert to allow these to be -overrides- of the system
wide mutex mechanism, e.g. sysv sem might be right for all but two resources.
Let those two be overridden (and point out, in the docs, when this would become
necessary).