httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Graham Leggett <>
Subject Re: Does Apache has similar module like Lighttpd's mod_compress ?
Date Fri, 20 Nov 2009 16:01:51 GMT
Dong Wang wrote:

> Yes, I need... The company I served do not want to lose any flow...
> I think I can config the httpd to not compress the response to
> Netscape 4.0.x. Maybe it waill be better.
> But It is not a safe solution, If someone attack the server using a
> lot of different user-agent, then the problem is still there.

The trunk version of httpd (v2.3.x) supports the idea that you can cache
anywhere in the filter stack.

If supporting content varied in useragent is a showstopper for you, you
might choose to cache the data before compressing it instead of after,
leaving the DEFLATE filter to handle the per-browser issues. Obviously
this comes with a higher load on your server, but it is still an option
if you can accept the tradeoff:

AddOutputFilterByType CACHE;DEFLATE text/html

View raw message