httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Rainer Jung <rainer.j...@kippdata.de>
Subject Re: pipe has been ended. : mod_fcgid: get overlap result error
Date Fri, 13 Nov 2009 18:08:02 GMT
Hi Jeff,

On 13.11.2009 17:43, Jeff Trawick wrote:
> On Thu, Nov 12, 2009 at 5:32 PM, Brian Kodl <bkodl@yahoo.com
> <mailto:bkodl@yahoo.com>> wrote:
>
>     Ps - Is there a debug or trace httpd.conf directive to get more
>     information?
>

> I see the same error on Vista.  Initially it was because the FCGI CPAN
> module wasn't installed; after installing that with ActiveState's ppm
> utility it still fails, with the same "overlap" message.  Increasing
> Apache's LogLevel to debug doesn't help.  Running foo.pl <http://foo.pl>
> from the command-line works fine.
>
> Regardless of the cause of this issue, mod_fcgid needs to capture stderr
> from the process for logging.
>
> Windows anyone?  I'd love to get a build environment set up and start
> playing but I'm out of time on this one.
>
> Any suggestions for a syscall tracer to capture the interaction with the
> child process?

The sysinternals tools are available without license cost and are of
very good quality. The company has been bought by Microsoft a couple of
years ago and the tools still get improved:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/default.aspx

For your problem I guess, that "Process Monitor"
(http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb896645.aspx) is the
right solutions. A couple of more process oriented tools are listed on

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb795533.aspx

Most people use Process Explorer, but that one is only capable of a more
static view, e.g. showing open DLLs and Handle, Threads and their stack
etc. (kind of mixture between lsof, ps and pstack). Process Monitor is
also able to trace calls, more like a truss sort of thing.

The tools are usually pretty simple to install, mostly copying of the
binary files.

HTH!

Regards,

Rainer