httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Nick Kew <n...@webthing.com>
Subject Re: Obsolete modules in 2.3
Date Thu, 12 Nov 2009 16:12:18 GMT
Ken Dreyer wrote:
> (another user's perspective)
>
> At my work (US. Geological Survey) we try to discourage webmasters
> from using server-side imagemaps, since they are not Section 508
> compliant. We've had to keep the module to support some legacy sites,
> but if 2.4 drops it, we can probably migrate any remaining server-side
> maps.

Hmmm.  When I worked alongside some of your folks (joint project -
I was at ESRIN) we used server-side imagemaps to let users select
points on a (geographical) map.  Any user without the map could
enter lat/long manually instead, and any clientside solution
(like scripting, or embedded java/flash) would raise more
serious accessibility problems (you'd want the serverside map
as a fallback for accessibility)!

OTOH, that used CERN HTTPD with CGI, not mod_imagemap.

Don't you have that kind of application any more?

--
Nick Kew