httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Graham Leggett <minf...@sharp.fm>
Subject Re: Httpd 3.0 or something else
Date Tue, 10 Nov 2009 16:37:17 GMT
Greg Stein wrote:

>> I am also concerned about the patterns of sendfile() in the current
>> serf bucket archittecture, and making a whole pipeline do sendfile
>> correctly seems quite difficult.
>
> Well... it generally *is* quite difficult in the presence of SSL,
> gzip, and chunking. Invariably, content is mangled before hitting the
> network, so sendfile() rarely gets a chance to play ball.

Not necessarily - a sensible cache that writes an interim response to
disk should ideally replace the current in-memory response with a
sendfile-capable file bucket.

Having done whatever filtering magic is required, the server just goes
"here kernel, give this file to the network, I'm off to serve the next
request, bye".

Regards,
Graham