httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Graham Leggett <minf...@sharp.fm>
Subject Re: Httpd 3.0 or something else
Date Mon, 09 Nov 2009 18:18:34 GMT
Akins, Brian wrote:

>> This gives us the option of prefork reliability, and event driven speed,
>> as required by the admin.
>
> I think if we try to do both, we will wind up with the worst of both worlds.
> (Or is it worse??)  Blocking/buggy "modules" should be ran out of process
> (FactCGI/HTTP/Thrift).

That is exactly what prefork means - to run something out of process, so
that it can leak and crash at will.

I disagree we'll end up with the worst of both worlds. A lot of head
banging in the cache code has been caused because we are doing blocking
reads and blocking writes on the filter stacks.

When I say "be asynchronous" I mean use non-blocking reads and writes
everywhere, in both prefork, worker and event.

We know from 15+ years of experience that prefork works, and we know
from the same period of experience from others that a pure event driven
model is useful for shipping static data and not much further. But some
people have a need to just ship static data, and there is no reason why
httpd and an event MPM can't do that job well too.

Regards,
Graham