httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Dirk-Willem van Gulik <di...@webweaving.org>
Subject Updated draft announcement apache.
Date Fri, 06 Nov 2009 22:13:14 GMT
With some feedback from various folks.

Thanks,

Dw.

Apache httpd is affected by CVE-2009-3555[1] (The SSL Injectin or MiM
attack[2]).

We strongly urge you to upgrade to OpenSSL 0.9.8l; and be prepared to
deploy 0.9.8m as it becomes available[3,4]. Note that these are short
term and mid-term mitigation; the long term solution may well require a
modification of the SSL and/or TLS protocols[5].

For those who are not able to upgrade swiftly and/or for those who need
detailed logging - we recommend that you roll out this patch (URL) as
soon as possible.

If you are unable to patch and unable to roll our a newer version of
OpenSSL, and you rely on Client Side Authentication with Certificates
then we recommend that you ensure that you limit your configuratin to a
single 'SSLClient require'at VirtualHost/Sever level and remove
all other (re)negotiation changes. However this does NOT fully protect
you - it just curtails authentication in this specific setting.

A version with this patch, Apache 2.2.15, is currently beeing
readied[4]; there are no plans for a backport to 1.3.X at this time. A
further announcement will be sent out when these are available.

1: http://cve.mitre.org/cgi-bin/cvename.cgi?name=CVE-2009-3555
2: http://www.links.org/?p=780, http://extendedsubset.com/?p=8
3: http://www.openssl.org/source/
    openssl-announce mailing list on