httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Paul Querna <>
Subject Re: intend to roll 2.3 alpha on Wednesday
Date Wed, 11 Nov 2009 19:59:43 GMT
On Wed, Nov 11, 2009 at 11:56 AM, William A. Rowe Jr.
<> wrote:
> Graham Leggett wrote:
>> Paul Querna wrote:
>>> I intend to roll a 2.3 alpha release on Wednesday November 11th.
> +1
>>> I will bundle APR from the 1.4.x branch. (APR people should make a
>>> release, but this shouldn't be a blocker for our own alpha releases).
> Major problem; don't do this.  You are putting 1.4.x code into a release
> which then ends up causing APR 1.4.0 to break its binary ABI rules.  That
> is just not kosher.  Some README or release notes observing that the best
> results can be obtained with a checkout and build of the as-yet-unreleased
> apr 1.4.x trunk is sufficient.
> If you want to 'test the bundling' - use a released apr please?

No released APR works.

Under our own versioning guidelines, we can and will break
compatibilty inside 2.3.x, so I don't see the issue created by using a
bundled APR.

>>> I am almost 90% sure the release might fail due to various issues, but
>>> we need to start cleaning those issues out.
> :)
>> Is there a need to bundle APR at all?
> Agreed +1 if APR is not bundled (this is alpha, after all).

If APR had a 1.4.0 released, it would be viable, but it doesn't.

View raw message