httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Stefan Fritsch ...@sfritsch.de>
Subject Re: svn commit: r834049 - in /httpd/httpd/trunk: CHANGES modules/dav/fs/lock.c modules/dav/fs/repos.c
Date Mon, 09 Nov 2009 19:46:53 GMT
On Monday 09 November 2009, Greg Stein wrote:
> >> Why did you go with a format change of the DAVLockDB? It is
> >> quite possible that people will miss that step during an
> >> upgrade. You could just leave DAV_TYPE_FNAME in there.
> >
> > That wouldn't help because it would still break with
> > DAV_TYPE_INODE locks existing in the DAVLockDB. Or am I missing
> > something?
>
> Heh. Yeah. I realized that right after I hit the Send button :-P
>
> Tho: mod_dav could error if it sees an unrecognized type, rather
>  than simply misinterpreting the data and silently unlocking all
>  nodes.

What do you want to do exactly? Check the db at httpd startup and
abort if it contains old format entries? I don't think it is possible
to convert the entries, at least not without traversing the whole dav
tree.

In any case, I wonder if this is worth the effort. It definitely isn't
for 2.2 -> 2.4 upgrades. And if we backport the changes to 2.2.x, I
would still primarily see it as responsibility of the distributors to
warn the user/remove the old db in postinst/etc.

And for those people who compile it themselves and run a system
critical enough that they cannot affort to loose the locks during an
httpd upgrade, those people should really read the changelog.

Cheers,
Stefan