httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Rich Bowen <rbo...@rcbowen.com>
Subject Re: Obsolete modules in 2.3
Date Thu, 12 Nov 2009 14:08:08 GMT

On Nov 11, 2009, at 23:21 , William A. Rowe Jr. wrote:

> Rich Bowen wrote:
>> Don't you think that maybe it's time to drop mod_imagemap and
>> mod_cern_meta?
>>
>> "there is already a large number of CERN users who can exploit this
>> module."
>>
>> Seriously?
>
> LOL
>
> FWIW I know of one customer who absolutely continues to use
> mod_imagemap and
> have no indication they plan to drop it.
>
> modules/historical/ might be a good waypoint to eliminating these.
> Enabling
> them should emit a warning they are no longer interesting and likely
> to be
> dropped from future releases.  OTOH perhaps we should keep
> cern_meta, considering
> the underlying argument from fans of over-aggressive content-type
> sniffing always
> cite broken httpd configs as the reason for their sillyness.

As a non-scientific data point, I have never encountered anybody who
knows what mod_imagemap does, in all the years that I've been doing
Apache training. And in the 2.0-and-before days, when I would mention
mod_imap, the response would ALWAYS be "Apache does IMAP? Really?"
Also, I have asked on users@ who uses it, and received one response so
far, saying that they hadn't heard of it until my question, and had to
go look it up.

Anyone who is using SERVER-SIDE image maps needs to upgrade to
Netscape version 1.4 or later (circa 1992), which does client-side
image maps. Bill, seriously, you need to tell your customer that HTML
2 added support for client-side image maps. It's 2009 now.

As for mod_cern_meta, if one insists on keeping it, perhaps rename it
to something less archaic, and perhaps merging it with mod_asis to
produce something actually useful. But, truly, finding people who have
even *heard* of the CERN web server is getting harder, and providing
backward compat with it is simply laughable.

--
Rich Bowen
rbowen@rcbowen.com