httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Edgar Frank <ef-li...@email.de>
Subject Re: [mod_fcgid] Feedback / Suggestions
Date Thu, 26 Nov 2009 08:26:58 GMT
On Tue, Nov 24, 2009, Jeff Trawick <trawick@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 24, 2009 , Edgar Frank <ef-lists@email.de> wrote:
> > (1)
> > mod_fcgid should be capable of specifying an external FCGI server.
> > (2)
> > In conjunction with (1), mod_fcgid should be able to select the backend
> > server based on request data.
>
> I'd much rather see effort put into mod_proxy_fcgi to support this use
> case.  I wish somebody, perhaps myself, had time to work on it.  It
> doesn't seem that hard a task.

Just an idea, I though about - what would you think about pulling
mod_proxy_fcgi up to the FCGI-code base of mod_fcgid? Could be kind of
difficult, as mod_fcgid is maintained separately at the moment, but IMHO
mod_fcgid has a much more sophisticated code in FCGI-communication (e.g. using
own bucket types) and adhering to the CGI standard.

If, in theory, both were sitting on the same code base, any fixes/changes/
enhancements in FCGI handling would affect and improve mod_proxy_fcgi, too.
This way, mod_proxy_fcgi would be the superior choice for externally spawned
workers (where dynamic worker selection really starts to make any sense) while
mod_fcgid cares about local workers and process management - and every module
would serve its very own purpose.

Okay, this has some downsides, too, like increased testing overhead, but in
general I like the idea.

I would be glad to hear your thoughts.

Regards,
Edgar