httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Jeff Trawick <>
Subject Re: small docu enhancement
Date Mon, 05 Oct 2009 11:16:02 GMT
On Mon, Oct 5, 2009 at 12:14 AM, Guenter Knauf <> wrote:

> Hi,
> every now and then I get asked about why Apache doesnt start, and it
> always turns out that folks try to load 2.0.x modules into 2.2.x, or
> even 1.3.x modules into 2.0.x ...
> therefore I posted already about 4 years this on my site:
> so that I only need to point to this ...
> just today got another discussion about this, and I believe its not
> enough to just tell the user 'Apache 2.2.x is incompatible with Apache
> 2.0.x', but instead we should explain a bit more like I did with my
> post, and even that is often not sufficient to convince the average user
> - well it convinces certainly that its wasted time to try further, but
> it does not convince why we do the MMN check at all.
> Probably someone has a good suggestion how to formulate this so that a
> *user* can understand?
> And even more important can we perhaps post this then on the httpd main
> page?

something short and sweet will have to be good enough, lest we detract from
the overall message (and probably fail to convince some people anyway)

"Modules built for Apache 2.0 or earlier are not compatible with Apache 2.2;
contact the supplier for a replacement."

(and similar for Apache 2.0)

This could go in the introductory paragraph of the new features page.
Hopefully people are clicking on that link?

View raw message