httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Jeff Trawick <traw...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [mod_fcgid proposal] defining processing options for particular commands
Date Fri, 02 Oct 2009 14:14:14 GMT
On Fri, Oct 2, 2009 at 9:01 AM, Ricardo Cantu <ricardo@smartcsc.com> wrote:

> On Friday 02 October 2009 5:35:03 am Jeff Trawick wrote:
> > On Fri, Oct 2, 2009 at 5:15 AM, Barry Scott <barry.scott@onelan.co.uk
> >wrote:
> > >

> > > Is it possible to also ask for the fcgi process to be started before
> any
> > > request arrive?
> >
> > Sure.  I guess there could be some "InitialProcesses n" option on this
> > directive.  (If this appears to be forgotten, open a bug at
> > https://issues.apache.org/bugzilla/ and set the severity to
> "enhancement."
> > Product = Apache httpd-2, component = mod_fcgid.)
> >
> > BTW, do you need to pre-spawn just on general principle (don't want any
> > initial delay), or is the on-demand spawning not aggressive enough, such
> > that it takes too long to create an adequate number of application
> > processes?
> >

> From what I understand the point behind FastCgiExternalServer ("process to
> be
> started before any request arrive?") is to prevent the process manager from
> managing that process. Only FCGIDIPCCommTimeout and FCGIDBusyTimeout would
> apply to "InitialProcesses n". Correct me if I'm wrong, don't think it had
> do with aggressiveness or delay of spawning.

My understanding is that mod_fastcgi's FastCgiExternalServer is for
processes that mod_fastcgi doesn't manage at all.  It will route requests to
them but it can't start or stop them.  I think that matches the only support
in httpd trunk's mod_proxy_fcgi.

mod_fastcgi's FastCgiServer directive is similar in some respects to the one
I propose in this thread, but it has a key difference: It implies that at
least one instance/process will be maintained at all times, irrespective of
load.

The primary motivation for my new directive is to specify options that
sometimes need to be associated with the application itself and not with the
context of a particular request that the application can handle.
Regardless, an option like InitialProcesses could be specified to pre-spawn
processes.

Another approach, instead of specifying something like InitialProcesses with
the other options, is to call this options directive "FCGIDCommandOptions",
and have another directive that specifies that the command is in fact a
"static application" (to borrow the terminology from mod_fastcgi).  Whether
an application is started on demand or maintained perpetually ("static
application"), any options specified on FCGIDCommandOptions would override
settings from the vhost or defaults.