httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "azurIt" <azu...@pobox.sk>
Subject Gracefull restart speed up suggestion
Date Thu, 22 Oct 2009 15:21:32 GMT
Hi,

we are using Apache on quite high traffic servers and needs to do gracefull restart very often.
Problem is that it takes 5 to 10 seconds when Apache goes to normal state after gracefull.
I would like to suggest some speed ups which could be made - maybe I'm totally wrong, I really
doesn't know the inner structure of Apache.

Gracefull restart is, if I'm informed good, doing this:
1.) Apache's main process will receive gracefull restart signal.
2.) Apache's main process will send restart signal to all it's childs.
3.) Apache's main process is waiting for all childs to restart.
4.) Every child will complete it's current request and do a shutdown.
5.) Apache's main process will start to spawn new processes.

I suggest this:
1.) Apache's main process will receive gracefull restart signal.
2.) Apache's main process will send restart signal to all it's childs.
3.) Apache's main process now doesn't care about 'old' childs and will start to spawn new
(with new configuration).
4.) Every 'old' child will complete it's current request and do a shutdown.

So, when 'old' childs are shutting down, Apache is fully working, spawning new processes and
accepting connections. This, if it's possible, will lower time needed for gracefull restart
to only few seconds. What do you think ?

azur