httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Michael Felt <mamf...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: problem with build on AIX 6.1
Date Tue, 06 Oct 2009 20:53:36 GMT
Michael Felt wrote:
> Rainer Jung wrote:
>> On 06.10.2009 21:22, Jeff Trawick wrote:
>>
>>>     michael@x054:[/data/prj/http-2.2.14.bad/srclib/apr/build]grep -c
>>> aix
>>>     *.m4 | grep -v :0
>>>     apr_hints.m4:5
>>>     libtool.m4:53
>>>     ltdl.m4:2
>>>     Most of these are in the form:
>>>         aix[[4-9]]*)
>>>
>>>     I saw a few aix5 ones, no aix6 specific ones. So you may have a
>>> good
>>>     starting point.
>>>
>>>     in aclocal.m4 for libtool.m4 I did not find a specific aix6) switch
>>>     (also the aix[[4-9]]* format.
>>>
>>>     regading the new libtool - is it enough to jst run ./buildconf -
>>> are
>>>     there extra arguments I should be giving? Is there any logged
>>> output.
>>>

>>> should be; confirm by looking in configure to see if the new stuff
>>> is in
>>> there
>>>

>> I just checked the latest libtool 1.x (1.5.26) which only has aix[4-9]
>> patterns, nothing aix5 specific. Another source of trouble could be
>> autoconf (e.g. config.guess) and automake. Recent versions (2.64 resp.
>> 1.10.2) seem to respect AIX 6 in their script.
>>
>> I don't have an AIX system at hand at the moment, but last time I build
>> on AIX 6.1 I was astonished, that they used .a as a suffix for shared
>> libs. They have two types of shared libs, depending on when symbol
>> resolution is done.
>>
>> My notes tell me, that at that time I changed the contents of libtool in
>> the following way:
>>
>> hardcode_action=immediate -> hardcode_action=relink
>> hardcode_direct=yes       -> hardcode_direct=no
>> hardcode_minus_L=no       -> hardcode_minus_L=yes
>>
>> I don't remember whether that was actually necessary.
>>
>> Regards,
>>
>> Rainer
>>
> I had autoconf 2.63 installed (I believe buildconf wanted at least
> 2.50). Automake I do not have installed, so I'll install that and try
> again.
> Step 1 - unpack the archive again, and run buildconf. I'll capture the
> output to nohup.out - and check in a configure (directory) for
> additional logs.
>
> I have a POWER4 (AIX 6.1) and and POWER5 (with ivm and partitions, AIX
> 6.1 and AIX 5.3) so I can test several setups in parallel. Just
> provide simple instructions. the libtool people seem to have put great
> effort into aix5 and ia64. And a lot of the code seems to be gcc
> related. I'll look into getting two partitions (5.3 and 6.1) with a
> gcc compiler and see how things run.
> I know the xlC v7 compiler is oldish (withdrawn from support 30-09-09)
> but it is what I have.
>
> Suggestions welcome!
>
> btw: I believe AIX documentation says they use .so for shared objects,
> but also support .a as a shared object archive. And of course, the
> [...]
michael@x054:[/data/prj]diff http*14/build http*14.bad/build
Only in http-2.2.14.bad/build: config_vars.mk
Only in http-2.2.14.bad/build: config_vars.sh
Common subdirectories: httpd-2.2.14/build/pkg and http-2.2.14.bad/build/pkg
Common subdirectories: httpd-2.2.14/build/rpm and http-2.2.14.bad/build/rpm
Only in http-2.2.14.bad/build: rules.mk
Common subdirectories: httpd-2.2.14/build/win32 and
http-2.2.14.bad/build/win32

michael@x054:[/data/prj]ls -l http*14*/configure
-rwxr-xr-x    1 michael  www          654523 Oct 05 20:38
http-2.2.14.bad/configure
-rwxr-xr-x    1 michael  www          654523 Oct 06 20:50
httpd-2.2.14/configure

So, the configure file are the same, but having automake installed seems
to influenced the contents of the build directory at least.
Next, the configure.log