httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Michael Felt <mamf...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: problem with build on AIX 6.1
Date Tue, 06 Oct 2009 20:18:10 GMT
Rainer Jung wrote:
> On 06.10.2009 21:22, Jeff Trawick wrote:
>
>>     michael@x054:[/data/prj/http-2.2.14.bad/srclib/apr/build]grep -c aix
>>     *.m4 | grep -v :0
>>     apr_hints.m4:5
>>     libtool.m4:53
>>     ltdl.m4:2
>>     Most of these are in the form:
>>         aix[[4-9]]*)
>>
>>     I saw a few aix5 ones, no aix6 specific ones. So you may have a good
>>     starting point.
>>
>>     in aclocal.m4 for libtool.m4 I did not find a specific aix6) switch
>>     (also the aix[[4-9]]* format.
>>
>>     regading the new libtool - is it enough to jst run ./buildconf - are
>>     there extra arguments I should be giving? Is there any logged output.
>>

>> should be; confirm by looking in configure to see if the new stuff is in
>> there
>>

> I just checked the latest libtool 1.x (1.5.26) which only has aix[4-9]
> patterns, nothing aix5 specific. Another source of trouble could be
> autoconf (e.g. config.guess) and automake. Recent versions (2.64 resp.
> 1.10.2) seem to respect AIX 6 in their script.
>
> I don't have an AIX system at hand at the moment, but last time I build
> on AIX 6.1 I was astonished, that they used .a as a suffix for shared
> libs. They have two types of shared libs, depending on when symbol
> resolution is done.
>
> My notes tell me, that at that time I changed the contents of libtool in
> the following way:
>
> hardcode_action=immediate -> hardcode_action=relink
> hardcode_direct=yes       -> hardcode_direct=no
> hardcode_minus_L=no       -> hardcode_minus_L=yes
>
> I don't remember whether that was actually necessary.
>
> Regards,
>
> Rainer

I had autoconf 2.63 installed (I believe buildconf wanted at least
2.50). Automake I do not have installed, so I'll install that and try again.
Step 1 - unpack the archive again, and run buildconf. I'll capture the
output to nohup.out - and check in a configure (directory) for
additional logs.

I have a POWER4 (AIX 6.1) and and POWER5 (with ivm and partitions, AIX
6.1 and AIX 5.3) so I can test several setups in parallel. Just provide
simple instructions. the libtool people seem to have put great effort
into aix5 and ia64. And a lot of the code seems to be gcc related. I'll
look into getting two partitions (5.3 and 6.1) with a gcc compiler and
see how things run.
I know the xlC v7 compiler is oldish (withdrawn from support 30-09-09)
but it is what I have.

Suggestions welcome!

btw: I believe AIX documentation says they use .so for shared objects,
but also support .a as a shared object archive. And of course, the docs
I found are on my other computer - that I cannot access at the moment.
As I get further I'll be working on a FAQ for http://www.rootvg.net (I
am webmaster there, and I am working on this build for that portal.) btw
- my other goal is to build a binary distrubtion for AIX and publish it
via rootvg.net.