httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>
Subject Re: svn commit: r821452 - /httpd/mod_fcgid/trunk/modules/fcgid/fcgid_pm_unix.c
Date Mon, 05 Oct 2009 02:34:50 GMT
Guenter Knauf wrote:
> William A. Rowe, Jr. schrieb:
>> But since his comment, "my friend always prefers to stay anonymous" implied more
>> than this single patch, it seems appropriate to call out the general concern.
> you got this wrong - I meant that he prefers so at all other places too,
> and not that he sends me tons of patches which I commit without
> crediting him.
> Also I would expect that someone who wants to be credited, and wants to
> hold copyrights on his/her submission certainly would self subscribe on
> the list, and submit self to the list.

Of course.  I didn't mean to imply anything else, except to remind all committers
of their responsibilities w.r.t. the iCLA.  Roy is correct, that if he fixes a trivial
typo, there is absolutely no need for an iCLA, or even for you to post credit where
credit isn't desired.

> My friend was long enough here subscribed on the list, and posted
> patches, and got credited; thus it happened too often to him that he got
> ignored (which is a general prob which happens to many others too), and
> finally it was not worth for him to deal with the huge amount of spam
> you get as a list subscriber (yeah, not everyone has a superdooper mail
> filter) only for being ignored (remember I write here his opinion), and
> so he unsubscribed, and some time later he anyway changed provider, and
> is now happy without spam - so has no fun to start the spam game again.
> Therefore I respect his desire to stay anonymous - which means more that
> he dislikes to subscribe to lists, or have his mail address otherwise
> appear on the inet; he's not anonymous to me.

That shouldn't be an issue though if you attribute him with our regular convention
of Joe Smith <jsmith foo.bar> since we drop the @ deliberately and require a human
to parse out what we meant.  Trust me, there is no human between the email address
harvesting and the spam crops.

> Quote from him just when I told him about our discussion here:
> "well submit by yourself as needed to compile or leave out and have the
> ***** author fix when report a compiler error"

And a trivial fix emailed from anonymous@nowhere would also be accepted if posted
(and by chance moderated) to the list.

Thanks for intermediating these, just pay attention to the attribution requirements
when a patch gets larger than a trivial fix :)

Bill