httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>
Subject Re: Time for a 2.3/2.4 branch?
Date Sun, 04 Oct 2009 18:31:08 GMT
William A. Rowe, Jr. wrote:
> Jim Jagielski wrote:
>> If we are serious about trying to get a 2.4 out this year,
>> what do people say about branching off trunk at this point,
>> so we could focus on the required checks while still allowing
>> trunk to continue unabated?
>
> -1, until we have votes for a beta/almost GA from trunk, -or- until someone
> offers a breaking patch which is targeted to something later than 2.4/3.0.
> That's IMHO - vetos are irrelevant to this topic.  If you can point to a
> recent commit as an example of what we shouldn't pick up in 2.4/3.0, you
> could probably shift my opinion about this.  My reasoning;

FWIW, if you question had been "if we are serious about getting 2.4 out this
year, without my suggested Apache 3.0 development getting in the way, can we
please fork now?" the answer would be different.  But I'm not seeing a desire
from any folks to be working n+2 versions ahead of the next major release, and
those that might ponder it also know how to fork sandboxes :)