httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Barry Scott <barry.sc...@onelan.co.uk>
Subject Re: [mod_fcgid proposal] defining processing options for particular commands
Date Fri, 02 Oct 2009 17:10:25 GMT
Jeff Trawick wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 2, 2009 at 5:15 AM, Barry Scott <barry.scott@onelan.co.uk
> <mailto:barry.scott@onelan.co.uk>> wrote:
>
>     Jeff Trawick wrote:
>
>         (instead of based on uri or vhost)
>
>         FCGIDCommand /path/to/command
>          IdleTimeout n
>          MaxProcessLifetime n
>          MinProcesses n
>          MaxProcesses n
>          MaxRequestsPerProcess n
>          InitialEnv var[=val] ...
>          <class>
>
>         (the names of these options follow my proposal for the names
>         of existing directives ;) )
>
>         When a command is to be started by mod_fcgid, any options
>         specified for the command on this directive override those
>         defined for the uri, vhost, global, or the defaults.  When a
>         wrapper is used, it is that wrapper which must be specified on
>         this directive.  This directive is not required unless one or
>         more options must be customized for a command.
>
>         Initially this would be allowed only in global sections.
>         InitialEnv can be repeated.
>
>         Regarding *class*:  Something is needed to disable or alter
>         existing management of applications based on their class.
>          Currently a class is limited to the processes started by the
>         same command within the same vhost (except when ServerName
>         isn't specified) with the same identity.
>
>         One possibility is to provide an option to ignore the vhost
>         name when managing the class (IgnoreVHost or ClassIsGlobal).
>          Another possibility is to set the name of the class to be
>         used in lieu of the virtual host (ClassName foo), which could
>         be used to the same effect but might be more useful in the
>         future when the process manager can see per-server configs
>         (for existing directives as well as FCGIDCommand).
>
>         None of this would affect the identity checks.  (Processes
>         with different uid/gid would never be considered to be in the
>         same class.)
>
>     This seems to offer all the features of mod_fastcgi process
>     configuration and then go usefully beyond what mod_fastcgi does.
>

> Thanks for looking.  Does anyone else care to comment?
>

>     Is it possible to also ask for the fcgi process to be started
>     before any request arrive?
>

> Sure.  I guess there could be some "InitialProcesses n" option on this
> directive.  (If this appears to be forgotten, open a bug at
> https://issues.apache.org/bugzilla/ and set the severity to
> "enhancement."  Product = Apache httpd-2, component = mod_fcgid.)
>
> BTW, do you need to pre-spawn just on general principle (don't want
> any initial delay), or is the on-demand spawning not aggressive
> enough, such that it takes too long to create an adequate number of
> application processes?

We have a setup that can be CPU time and memory limited.
Using Static servers allows the start up overhead to be suffer once at
boot time.
Our fast CGI servers are python processes that run very fast but can be
slow to start,
a few seconds, which is bad for response times.

We have also had data collection going on in the fast CGI process, but
we are moving
away from that for a number of reasons.

Barry