httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Dick Davies <rasput...@hellooperator.net>
Subject Re: dropping inode keyed locks in mod_dav_fs (was: Dav Locks corrupting; need some troubleshooting tools)
Date Mon, 19 Oct 2009 11:16:03 GMT
On Sun, Oct 18, 2009 at 8:50 PM, Stefan Fritsch <sf@sfritsch.de> wrote:
> On Thursday 15 October 2009, Dick Davies wrote:
>> In any event, does it made sense to use something other than the
>> inode as the key into the lockDB - the URI for example?
>
> Is the performance improvement of inode keyed locking so large that it
> is worth the hassle? If mod_dav_fs used filename keyed locking
> entirely, there would be an easy way to make file replacement by PUT
> atomic (see PR 39815). The current behaviour of deleting the old and
> the new file when the PUT fails is really bad.

Agreed.
I can see how inodes are faster, but I'd like an alternative option  -
maybe a similar config option to the ETags tunable ; if the DBM key was
mtime+inode number my problem would go away, for example.

[ I know it may sounds like 'Doctor it hurts when I do this'
wrt. other processes editing files underneath mod_dav, but it's a fairly
common thing to do in most installs I've seen.  It's certainly the first
time I've heard that DAV requires exclusive access to a filesystem to avoid
strange behaviour. ]