httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "pqf" <...@mailtech.cn>
Subject [mod_fcgid] how about spin lock on share memory
Date Wed, 14 Oct 2009 00:54:57 GMT
Hi, all
    I am Ryan Pan, who wrote the first version of mod_fcgid.
  While I uesd mod_fastcgi(not mod_fcgid), one issue that bother me is: while a fastcgi process(created
by mod_fastcgi's process manager process)in a dead loop, no one is respond to kick it out.
So from time to time, some fastcgi processes would eat up the system cpu resource.
  So while I wrote mod_fcgid, I create a block of share memory to store the fastcgi process
pipe path and pid, then httpd can search this share memory to get the an idle fastcgi process,
and once the communication timout(which usually mean the fastcgi process deadly running),
httpd will kick out this "corrupt" process.
  However there is a new problem now, every time httpd search this share memory, it will have
to get a global mutex, which is a combination of process lock an thread lock, is it(a mutex
lock for search a free node in a node list) too heavy? Maybe spin lock on share memory is
a good idea in this case? But spin lock is system dependented, and apr library doesn't have
this interface.
  I thought about this idea since I wrote mod_fcgid, but I am not sure whether it is a good
idea, so any advice from you guys will be highly appreciated.

Thanks