httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "Jeffrey E Burgoyne" <burgo...@keenuh.com>
Subject Re: Feature Request for balancer-manager
Date Wed, 21 Oct 2009 10:32:20 GMT
I am not using the apache balancing, but using a network level load
balancer, but this concept may apply. We append an HTTP header on output
that tells you which machine you were on. As long as each machine has a
separate config file of some sort (in our setup it is http.conf unique per
machine, with a global config for all machines) you can do this. We use :

Header always append ContentServer "strategis1"

Which gives an HTTP header value in your output saying where it has gone.
Also, this works well with a reverse proxy setup if you balance front and
back ends as you can use this on both ends, and the data will appear in
one HTTP header (hence why we use append in the command).

This allows us to properly trace back exactly what machine handled the
request, which I assume is what you wish to do.

--
Jeffrey Burgoyne
Chief Technology Officer