httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Mark Watts <m.wa...@eris.qinetiq.com>
Subject Re: Feature Request for balancer-manager
Date Wed, 21 Oct 2009 10:53:16 GMT
On Wed, 2009-10-21 at 06:32 -0400, Jeffrey E Burgoyne wrote:
> I am not using the apache balancing, but using a network level load
> balancer, but this concept may apply. We append an HTTP header on output
> that tells you which machine you were on. As long as each machine has a
> separate config file of some sort (in our setup it is http.conf unique per
> machine, with a global config for all machines) you can do this. We use :
>
> Header always append ContentServer "strategis1"
>
> Which gives an HTTP header value in your output saying where it has gone.
> Also, this works well with a reverse proxy setup if you balance front and
> back ends as you can use this on both ends, and the data will appear in
> one HTTP header (hence why we use append in the command).
>
> This allows us to properly trace back exactly what machine handled the
> request, which I assume is what you wish to do.

Nothing quite so compilicated:
Eg: (** is my addition)

                     Load Balancer Manager for 192.168.1.100

   Server Version: Apache/2.2.13 (Unix) mod_ssl/2.2.13
          OpenSSL/0.9.8e-fips-rhel5 Apache

   ** Server Hostname: lb01.example.com **

   Server Built: Sep 17 2009 15:37:59

  LoadBalancer Status for balancer://static-web

   StickySession Timeout FailoverAttempts   Method
   -             0       1                byrequests

Worker URL        Route RouteRedir Factor Set Status Elected To  From
   http://web01                  1      0   Ok     29      15K 669K
   http://web02                  1      0   Ok     28      14K 258K

Mark.

--
Mark Watts BSc RHCE MBCS
Senior Systems Engineer, Managed Services Manpower