On Wed, Sep 9, 2009 at 8:57 AM, Dan Poirier <poirier@pobox.com> wrote:
mod_auth_digest cannot implement nonce-count checking or the md5-sess algorithm if the platform doesn't have shared memory.

Right now, if the admin configures either of these options and the platform doesn't have shared memory, the module issues a warning and continues without the requested option.

In my opinion, if a security check that the admin requested in the configuration cannot be implemented, it should be more than a warning; it should be a fatal startup error.

What's the consensus on changing this?

1) What's the right behavior?

fail at startup

2) If it should be changed, what's the best way to do it?  The change could break configurations that currently appear to "work", although they're not really doing what the admin configured them to do.

how many affected configurations are we talking about?

* did anything that needed shared memory really work before your recent fixes?
* are either of these unsupported features the default?
* what platforms have no APR support for shared memory?