httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Jeff Trawick <traw...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: svn commit: r814091 - in /httpd/httpd/trunk: CHANGES support/htcacheclean.c
Date Tue, 15 Sep 2009 18:44:51 GMT
On Tue, Sep 15, 2009 at 1:52 PM, Graham Leggett <minfrin@sharp.fm> wrote:

> Jeff Trawick wrote:
>
> > Just zap the check since it is unnecessary.
>
> So first you suggest that all the checks be collapsed down to one check,

I don't recall doing that, though I did suggest that if we keep the checks
we don't need to duplicate the error message 9 times ;)

> and after being asked for an example of how the one check might work,
> you're now suggesting that the checks be removed entirely?

You misunderstood my comment (possibly because I didn't write it clearly).
What I meant by

"Why not simply zap all these checks of the form

if (silly user specified no-argument option again) {
  remind them who is boss
}

to avoid code bloat?"

is that I didn't think it was important to check for the user specifying the
same option more than once.

> > Ignoring the opinion that it isn't worth writing this code code for a
> > moment,
>
> It isn't worth writing code that makes an end user's life easier?

Sure; I hope we can also agree independent of this particular example that
sometimes the amount of code can exceed the real value to the end user.  (I
assume we still disagree about whether or not in this particular case the
code grew to exceed its real value ;) )

Or are you suggesting that all our end users should have gdb installed,
> a copy of httpd installed with full debug symbols, and the ability to
> read C code just to find a typo on a command line?

What do you consider the likelihood that I was suggesting that?

You made a code change with superfluous casting, bogus duplication of error
messages, and another issue which is a matter of taste but IMO valid fodder
for discussion. Somehow I was able to raise these issues without being a
smart ass.