httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Jim Jagielski <...@jaguNET.com>
Subject Re: slotmem API notes
Date Fri, 04 Sep 2009 12:35:46 GMT

On Sep 3, 2009, at 1:31 PM, Akins, Brian wrote:

> On 9/3/09 10:30 AM, "Jim Jagielski" <jim@jaguNET.com> wrote:
>
>> But consider an independent process that wants to attach to that
>> shared memory segment... at this point, we need a global lock that
>> both Apache and this ind process will honor. So somehow we need to
>> store that lock *in* the shared memory segment, so that all processes
>> that attach to it can use it.
>
> Use a semaphore? The external process already has to know certain
> things to
> attach to the memory anyway.

Yeah, but this means that the external process needs to know that
Apache is using a semaphore, or the name of the file that is being
used for the mutex lock, etc... Something needs to be exposed, and
we need some way of doing that...

> Also, could just make external process use HTTP.

+1 But that really uglies up Apache, imo... basically we're using
it as a mutex server. Talk about multi-protocol :)