httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>
Subject Re: Events, Destruction and Locking
Date Sat, 26 Sep 2009 07:34:59 GMT
Graham Leggett wrote:

> Ideally any async implementation should be 100% async end to end. I
> don't believe that its necessary though for a single request to be
> handled by more than one thread.

That pretty much ensures you are congesting unequal requests on the same
CPU, not necessarily a good idea.

I expect the ideal number of threads will end up looking like 100 in this
sort of a scenario, for serving ~5k requests in parallel.

Assuming an 8 cpu system, we can get much closer to some 20 threads if all
requests were free-threaded. (assuming here a thread per cpu for traffic
and some worker delegation - if they sat on the same thread perhaps this
is closer to 12).